Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Astounding

Inexplicably, the past few days my mood has been unalterably sunny (unlike the weather, o fickle fiend that weather be).

I'm getting enough sleep, laughing a lot, working hard, enjoying my work and my home time, and today I did three things that I am very proud of.

1) I hiked around Shoal Creek today. I haven't done that since 2001 when I worked at Medical Park Tower. Walking that trail on my lunch breaks took twenty pounds off me back then, and now I have been reunited with my old friend. Albeit, my old friend seems to have had some astonishingly bad plastic surgery in the six years since we were acquainted. Still, I look forward to running away, every day, now that the initial hurdle has been jumped.

2) I guided myself into a more appropriate career today at my job. Starting Friday, I'm going to start getting cross-trained into the Medical Writing field, with the intent to jump over there from what I'm doing now. While not the ultimate thing I would write about, it's still words and grammar and processes and typing and proofreading and creating and learning. And if while I am still at this company I get certified by the AMWA, I'll have no trouble getting a job again and I will eventually be able to work from home as a contractor, wherever I may end up.

3) I decided to stop letting my desire to create music get overshadowed by the many distractions that come with trying to do my music at home. You know, living with a roommate, having a computer or movies I want to see, or phone calls I want to take. So starting this evening, I have rented a little studio at Music Lab on Oltorf.

It's only $8.00/hour after 10pm, and that's usually when I get my creative spurts. Tonight I've got an hour so I'm taking all my accoutrements and I'm going to work on my new songs, honing them. Next week I've scheduled the rehearsal studio for two hours, so I'm going to try to get them all down on tape. It's time to start acting like a real musician, and although one or two hours a week sounds like a small amount, it's a huge step for me to commit to doing it, and I won't help but learn to use my studio time wisely. Maybe later on down the road I can get Tom or Steve or Brennen Leigh in there with me and we can work up some material.




I feel really wonderful right now. It's about time!

No comments: