Sunday, February 4, 2007

My eyeballs hurt

I should not spend so much time on a computer. Its place in my life shifts frequently in terms of convenience, education, and overall usefulness, but has an inverse relationship with the quantity of my creative endeavors.

Damn.

Today (after three years) I finally bought myself a new pair of running shoes. They were $70.00 shoes marked down to under $30.00 (which is probably about $22.00 more than they cost to manufacture). I wish I didn't have to buy athletic shoes simply because they seem to me to be matching transcendent laced up by-products of corporate greed, perfected by having married nicely into fashion geared towards the average slack-jawed yokel...but I digress. And could also say the same thing about Big-E Levis or bakelite.

Eh...at *least* I didn't go for Nikes or Reeboks.

Last night Steve and I watched "Downtown 81" (lovely), "Johnny Guitar" (chock full of great buttes(!), plus the forever immortalized "snap n' shout", courtesy of an exceedingly grating character named "Emma") . We also watched a documentary which sounded superb and like it might be a bit of a brain-stretcher. I mean, it had Burroughs and Brion Gysin and the Master Musicians of Joujouka. What's not to stretch? It was called "Destroy All Rational Thought" and I have to say, I think they did THAT very well. That is to say, they destroyed it in a way only a hipster can. Basically I found it low on substance and high on pretentiousness--a very "I'm cool; you're not" sort of film. The older footage and interviews were pretty cool but I think everyone outside of The English Channel could have done without the "Who's Who" of Irish hipster rockers. I had it at Bono, thank you very little.

I found a website which talks about this documentary and sums it up quite nicely:

http://blogs.epicindia.com/leapinthedark/2006/12/dvd_review_destroy_all_rationa.html

And he agrees with me:

**Far too often while watching Destroy All Rational Thought I found myself thinking that people were trying too hard to establish their "cool" credentials instead of being concerned about the art that was being displayed or the artist himself.**


And bless Steve's heart, he had bought a bottle of Absinthe--complete with an absinthe spoon. There are very few people I could enjoy all that with--old westerns, New York art scene movies, beat writers and musicians, absinthe, Guinness, plus cactus migas for breakfast.

*
*

Ok, I can't really think of *anyone* besides him that would even be up for that.


I need to get off this thing and clean my room while watching a movie, and then go to sleep.

No comments: