Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Music, Mars, & Muscles

I'm sinking into a very self-protective mood as of late. Withdrawing as necessary, but just wholeheartedly trying to make myself happier. It's amazing how easy it is to do, if I just listen to what my soul is telling me. Stop. Breathe. Listen. Breathe. Gently put myself into motion. Ignore those pesky little voices, and do only for me.

I really need that right now. I feel like I'm tryin' to climb that old satin mountain again.

Tonight unfolded in a lovely way. Brennen asked me to join her for a few at the Evangeline Cafe where she played from 6 to 8, so I went. Met a very sweet fellow who played bass with her, and hopefully I'll get to use him if and when I ever play out in Austin again. We talked for a while afterward about what else? Music...which rather than getting old, is actually always refreshing.

Also refreshing was the little cup of red beans & rice I ate while there, and the unexpected company of several people who I don't really see much these days--Buck, Veronica, Sergio, and I also met Sue Moreno who is here in Texas from I think--Holland? She's playing a few shows in the U.S. At least she kind of recognized me--I think I'm getting out of the rockabilly circuit for too long, but still people surprise me. They booked a show in El Paso. Hmmm...I guess I'd better find out where she's playing if it's worth the money, like Buck said.

I caught the tail end of Veronica Mars over at Monica's afterward--and talked to her which made me feel a lot better about some aspects of my life. She has a very straightforward approach to life that I don't have.

Sometimes when I talk to her about my personal issues I end up thinking, "Well, that may be the way I SHOULD handle it, but it's not going to be the way I DO handle it." And then sometimes her spine of reinforced steel rubs off on me with good results, like tonight.

I'd like to be more of a "I don't take no shit from no-BODY" kind of woman. I admire that so much. If only I were less sensitive to others' needs and wishes...then it would be no problem. Of course I am who I am, and though I love myself, I will always feel more complete with love from others. Kind of sucky when I think about it.

It's 10:15pm now and I'm going to do a small session of weight training here in a minute, take a hot bath, and immerse myself in music essays, egyptian cotton sheets, and kitty-cats for the rest of the night.

No comments: