Friday, August 17, 2007

The Power of People

What I know in life is that we (those who think perceptively, that is) are all searching for something. Whether we know it or not, that “something” is actually most often found in some ONE.

I forget that sometimes. I forget how the me that is me could not have become the best me without knowing and allowing myself to be influenced by others. I have committed many offenses to be sure…but overall I find I am much improved just by sheer interaction with other human beings. It’s the most inspirational thing in the universe.

Every so often, I have to make myself think about this. I constantly chastise myself for not staying in; for not “working” on my craft. I want to improve my skills, for sure…but the general point of creativity at all is to put it out there and see who else responds to it. Those who respond in a kindred manner may well get a lifelong membership to knowing me. That membership may require the occasional renewal dues, but we all have to pay it; and me to them for certain.

Sometimes I just want to stay on my couch.

Sometimes I don’t want to meet strangers and go places where I might feel a little bit uncomfortable. Sometimes I see someone walking my way and I…well, I duck out of sight because I’m in some weird mood that may or may not have to do with them. As I get older, this happens more often. It’s a desire to maintain a mental status quo, I think; it is a fervent desire to keep complete acceptance of the person that I am. I accept my own idiosyncrasies, so when I am with myself, being my freaky little self, I am the most comfortable.

The thing is (and this sounds almost trite, but)…why should I cheat myself of the opportunity to meet inspiring people of the world, and why should I cheat them of the opportunity to be inspired by me? To do so would gradually signify an end to my personal development.

It seems to me that all that we are doing in life is seeking to be loved; if not on an emotional level, then certainly on a creative one. When I explore things that amaze me (an undiscovered cave, a great band, a hidden graveyard, a book; a movie)…I am only part of the way towards true fulfillment.

True fulfillment never seems to lie in the existence of these things and my appreciation of them. Rather, true fulfillment is reached by discussing these amazing things with other likeminded individuals.

That zingy spark of passion; that happy 'heebie-jeebie' that happens when you come across a thing you love can be prolonged and intensified, exponentially, when externalized in conversation with others.

YES! Who doesn’t love to feel good and possess an honest love of the pure genius of humanity?
I do. I do! It helps me in infinite ways. Particularly, the memories of these positive interactions aid me when I am mired in and bogged down; when I am trying desperately not to be rendered hopeless and pessimistic by the omnipresent ignorance, complacency, and short-sightedness that is every day life in the 21st century.

I must not, MUST NOT forget the power of people.

No comments: