Saturday, April 2, 2005

The man is my weak spot, sho' nuff.

Drum roll please....my soul search at this weekend's Austin Record Convention is a Ruth Johnson recording for the Stax Records subdivision, Volt Records.

Specifically: Volt 133--Ruth Johnson's I'll Run Your Hurt Away/Weak Spot.
Produced by Isaac Hayes and David Porter, 1965.

I must own it. With lyrics like the following, how could I not?
******************************
WEAK SPOT
There he is
Standin' in the crowd
Whenever I see him
I wanna scream " I love you" out loud
The man is my weak spot!
Sho' nuff, he's my weak spot
I said the man is my weak spot
(Oooh, I'm gonna love him
Oh, I'm gonna love him right now)

I look so silly
To see what he wants
My heart says to grab him
But the pride, the pride says don't

I tell you he's my weak spot
So glad he's my weak spot
I said the man is my weak spot
I can't help it, I can't help it
The man can't help it, the man, the man, the man
The man is my weak spot!


I see him
And things jump up in my mind
My love stays warm for him
All of the time
I can't help it, he's my weak spot!
Sho' nuff, he's my weak spot
So take your hands off my weak spot
Don't mess with my weak spot
Cause I love, I love my weak spot
And I need, I need my weak spot

****************************

The last time I went on a search like this, it was an obscure song by Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger, from a 1964-1968 UK mod/R&B compilation.

I found it, too. Anyone want to come with me?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The artist is Ruby (not Ruth) Johnson. I have her "I'll Run Your Hurt Away" CD and the title track is my favorite. Another favorite is "Come to me my Darling." It also has "Weak Spot" on it. I purchased it for only a few bucks on ebay and it's loaded with TWENTY tracks!!

Of interest, she makes mention of the title track "I'll Run Your Hurt Away" and the track you like, "Weak Spot" toward the end of another cut on the CD called "What More Can A Woman Do?"

I LOVE her voice. Her soulful tone reminds me of an awesome cross between Ruth Brown and Etta James. Don't get much better than that!!

Oh ... if there aren't any more at ebay, check out half.com, they always have some.

Enjoy!!