Friday, October 15, 2004

Childhood stories, vol. 1

My best friend and I were in my room ( I was about 9) and I'd swiped a lipstick from somewhere. I proceeded to attempt to get a rise out of my friend's usually calm demeanor. I concentrated on my image in the mirror. I started with my lips, and then I don't know what happened. She stood there, open-mouthed and ashen-faced, as I dragged that lipstick all across my face. In designs, no less...happy faces, swirls, stripes, self-portraits...pure hot-pink hullabaloo. The game was over when the lipstick was a sticky nub and my entire face was covered in cakey, oily, little-old-lady, shocking pink lipstick.
The sad thing is that this lipstick was the old-school kind, almost flourescent and possibly made with lead. No matter how hard I scrubbed, and how often, it didn't come out for about a week.

But even sadder than that, it was the week we had our school pictures taken.

No comments: